Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pink Lines

December 29, 2011


Christmas was nice and quiet. Uneventful, or so we thought. Other than lying around the house, watching movies, and occasionally going out, we pretty much did nothing. 


I had started getting a head cold Christmas Eve that has me down for the count most of the time. I had been going through the usual routine with a cold. Hot showers, hot liquids, menthol, heating pad around the head, mucinex, vitamin c and zinc and lots of Lipton chicken noodle soup (and yes it has to be Lipton because it has the salty broth that just opens my sinuses.)


I was expecting my "monthly friend" to come calling around Christmas as she usually comes on any significant day of my life making those moments so wonderful(sarcasm) and this time it didn't happen. So I shrugged it off and said tomorrow... and that didn't happen. I did this for about four days until I started to wonder if possibly, maybe, could I be?...no...can't be. But to be safe since I was taking so much medicine, we bought two tests from the pharmacy along with a stock of vicks and mucinex.


Now taking these tests is like watching a gory horror movie. You are pretty sure you know what the outcome will be and you know what is about to happen but you close your eyes to avoid that image being burned in your brain. I avoid taking these tests because I have never had it end the way I wanted. I waited a few hours until it was time to take my medicine for the evening and figured the whole point was to know so I don't take medicine if I am pregnant. So I went in to our bathroom and expected one line. Always just one line. As the little stick rested on the counter a pink line appeared but it seemed to be a little too far to the left than what I remembered. In my brain I was mentally trying to make it move right like I had the power of an Xmen. And then a second line appeared on the right. Two lines? What is this?! My heart was beating 90 to nothing and then stopped. To the side two lines meant "pregnant." I took the stick and set it down and just tried to breath normal for about 5 minutes. When my senses slowly came back I realized I was grinning and laughing. I could hear my poor husband bumbling around in the living room with no idea that I just took this test and no idea what was about to hit him. 




I couldn't decide if I wanted to hide it or run and show him. I felt like I was holding a weapon. It was too late to decide because he came around the corner and I just held the stick up without a word. He looked and said "What is that?...You drew that!" That was not the reaction I was expecting, but ok, so I said "No. I didn't. I just took it." There was some hesitation and disbelief and then he slowly grinned from ear to ear. 


We were pregnant, or at least this test says we are. So we giggled around in disbelief for an hour and finally decided it made sense. I snapped a photo and sent it to our parents and my closest friends just to make sure this was real. Everyone was very excited but I think we were still in shock. How had this happened? We weren't even trying and I wasn't even taking Chlomid yet. So for reassurance that this was not some fluke test, I took another and this time I used the pee in the cup method. I wanted to rule out all possibility of human error. And same result. I was insane expecting something different. Two lines in about 15 seconds. Yes indeed. We are pregnant!





No comments:

Post a Comment